Thursday 27 October 2011

The Connected Life

I don't know your opinion but to me the whole concept of the internet of things scares me! After watching the Sony Ericsson video in the lecture it has really got me thinking.. Is the internet of things the future.. or is it the present? and is this wired world really that necessary?

Really the internet of things is no new concept.. as much as you may have been unaware the internet of things is happening around us, and has been for quite some time now. According to the GSMA there are already 9 billion total connected devices worldwide that's more devices connected to the internet than people on earth! and that number is "going to explode to 24 billion devices by 2020" according to new statistics released by GSMA. 


What do you make of the:

Top 10 Internet of Things Products of 2009


What about all of the avenues that it would open up for hackers. Pachube has developed a 24hour hackathon purely devoted to the internet of things apps and think about it if there were 24billion internet of things devices out there how easy it would be for hacking to take place. Already we are aware of the risks associated with hacking but being able to hack a door lock to open, a car to crash or an oven to burn is a great concern to me and it makes me wonder is it all that necessary why cant we just do it all ourselves? 

I have really enjoyed blogging this semester and may even continue to do so in the future I guess ill have to see. One thing that I do know is that prior to DIGC202 I swore I would never get a Twitter Account but I will admit I actually don't mind twitter at all and I WILL continue to tweet in days, weeks and months to come. I never thought I would be followed by people like Julia Gillard, Kevin Rudd, Blackberry Australia or The McGrath Foundation. 



3 comments:

  1. 9 billion total connected devices?! Although if you think about it, they're probably the most practical devices to be connected to the internet at the moment. After watching the Ericsson ad in the lecture, I thought it was a bit exaggerated (the way the automatic vacuum talked to the sofa and the sofa made a sadface etc).

    Now that you mention the hacking, I think its frightening when you apply to logic to someone hacking, say, your car whilst you're driving. I think there always needs to be some kind of unhackable manual override to our devices no matter how 'connected' they become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elise, I have very similar concerns as you when it comes to the internet of things. On one level, I can definitely see how so many connected devices can be super useful and really powerful... but on another, the more we begin to rely on a system or network such as this, the more paranoid I become. As you noted, it becomes quite scary when you think about what could happen if hacking came into it. I agree wholeheartedly with Kyle on this one- there must be some manual override to prevent this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What im worried about is how fat and lazy we will get! We won’t have to remember anything in the future, even now no need to know any ones phone number. I also think it will be hectic trying to sort out all the settings for someone who isn't that techno savvy

    ReplyDelete