Friday 14 September 2012

Invisible Rules that Govern our Actions??


In everyday life we are guided by a set of ‘social norms’ which establish the idea of social standards on how we should engage and behave in social interactions. These unwritten rules guide and influence our actions on a day to day basis. This week Wieder’s reading Telling the code, closely examined the ‘convict code’ and how it is utilised in half-way houses to rationalise behaviour and activities in the half way house. Wieder discovered that individuals that were in breach of the code were met with negative sanctions which varied dependant on the severity of breach of the code and breaches could result in abuse and violence.

Like in Wieder’s examination of the ‘convict code’ everyday individuals such as you and I are exposed to a similar code on a day to day basis are which ‘stipulates’ the right and wrong actions of everyday life situations, which again can also result in consequences- (no not that of those that are prevalent in the halfway houses!). Social norms can vary depending on geographic location, socio-economic status and up-bringing to name a few.

When I think of social norms I also feel that they depend on who I am in the presence of…. At work I have a professional expectation of myself and my fellow employees, if I meet someone new, I am expected to introduce myself with a polite handshake. If I met someone new out with my friends I would be a ‘total loser’ if I was to shake their hand (and as my consequence-perhaps then avoided by my friends who don’t want to lose their ‘cool’ façade). While yes its polite, the social norms that are present vary and depending on the situations we face in life.

Sunstein, CR 2006, “Social Norms and Social Roles”, Columbia Law Review, vol 96, no 4, pp 903-968, accessed 14/09/2012, JSTOR Database.

No comments:

Post a Comment